Ate All I Could

It's been forever and a day since my partner and I had gone out on a weekend dinner date. Already it seemed par for the course to stay home on weekends and just watch TV or surf online. It was more practical that way especially given our finances and my being out of work the past 5 months (and counting). 
Yes, I admit it. For now I am a trophy husband.
It was suggested we go to Shabu Shabu which serves eat-all-you-can (mostly) Japanese food. I made it a point to miss lunch and went to our first dinner date in half a year.
Back in Washington DC, I'd been exposed to some of the best sushi available, and I didn't have to break the bank. Here in the Netherlands, all restaurants are expensive in comparison. Our total bill for two people, 60 Euros (~75 US$). A comparable eat-all-you-can place in the U.S. for two would run 50 US$ maybe. Sigh.
Even if I felt we overpaid, it felt good to be with the living out and about. Even if the food wasn't entirely authentically Japanese, the Japanese chefs in the sushi bar who kept staring at me taking pictures of the food made up for it. Wacky Japanese.

Labels: ,