The Poet Sandal-maker of Athens

My friend, Anthony, made sure to go see a man about some sandals. We went looking for the Akropoli subway station near the hotel in order to get to Monastiraki Square where a famous sandal shop was located. 
After a bit of a runaround, we finally found the shop along a quiet street just off the main road. Upon entering, it was like a sandal bomb exploded.  
 Sandal-making has been in Pantelis' family for over 90 years starting with his grandfather, Georgios. It became famous when while filming a movie in the city, who should walk in but Sophia Loren. Since then other sandal-lovers have been The Beatles (all four), Rudolph Nureyev, Jacqueline Onassis, Lily Tomlin, Jeremy Irons, Sarah Jessica Parker, etc...
As for me, sandals were neither here nor there. I owned a pair when I was living in Washington DC but over in the Netherlands, they'd probably end up in storage. Not that people wouldn't wear them, just that the weather is rarely warm enough to use them. After much prodding I did end up walking in Jeremy Irons' (sandal)shoes care of my sponsor, Anthony. Thanks, Anthony! I'll wear them with pride...when I can. (:

Next, meating at Milton...

Labels: , ,