Now You See Me?

Now where did this movie come from?!
After reading that Will Smith's movie After Earth wasn't doing too well, a good amount of schadenfreude filled the air. It may have always been the case but I've recently noticed that the Fresh Prince seems to be so full of himself that he needs to be the center of attention anywhere, anytime, even if inappropriately. This was several times the case when he was on the Graham Norton Show last week to hawk his movie. Clearly an insufferable egomaniac and a huge contrast to newly-Oscar nominated Bradley Cooper sitting close by. Expectedly, his offspring, beneficiary of much-earned nepotism, seemed to be growing up not far at all from the tree. To top it off, when I heard that Manoj Night Shyamalan, a similar egotist, was directing, I pretty much vowed to stay away even though I'm a sucker for scifi movies. Anything Manoj did after Sixth Sense was just unwatchable nonsense that left me wanting my time and money back, I detested him that much.
In any case, out of nowhere another movie with just a little bit less star power ended up beating Smith, Smith and Shyamalan at the box office. If their trailer's any basis, it looks like a far superior movie...


The trouble with this movie -- it's not showing in Amsterdam. At least, not yet I hope, though it does leave me annoyed and wanting. For a developed economy, why is this place so behind in many, increasingly exasperating ways. Even cities like Manila and Kuala Lumpur get to see movies at the same time as the States, even ahead of time in some cases. Now You See Me may already be out but I won't get to see it yet. When they do show it here, I'd strongly suggest re-titling it more appropriately as Now You'll REALLY See Me.

Labels: