Bar None

I have just discovered my new favorite watering hole...€11 Cosmopolitans notwithstanding.
There's this building right smack in front of Amsterdam Central Station that little did I realize, even after passing by it more times than I can remember, turned out to be a hotel. Not till recently and only after looking up to the top floor did I finally see the art'otel sign. Cue the thought bubble atop my head --- so it was a hotel after all! Since I didn't find a pressing need for it, I barely gave it any thought afterwards, until a botched birthday celebration piqued my curiosity.
While the double birthday celebration last weekend was supposed to be in the hotel's in-house bar, an invitation from my Iberian colleagues to get together last night for a drink proved to be the perfect chance to see what the place was all about. After all, a hotel that calls itself an 'Art' hotel has to have something to prove. Luckily, it didn't disappoint.
I'd always been spoiled for choice by the bars in DC where I discovered how a good cocktail was the best way to end the day. Pretty gay, I know. The Cosmo I had at art'otel was just the right amount of strong and sweet - I was actually buzzed after just a few sips - and safe to say, was the best I'd had in a long time. Before last night I can honestly say my experiences in the Amsterdam bar scene have kept me wanting, and wanting some more. Last night after all these years, I may have just happily rediscovered the after-work cocktail, and finally found a place I can comfortably say 'now this is more like it'.

Labels: , ,